The real world of motorcycling

The real world of motorcycling

Friday 16 March 2012

Matt Hull’s April column: "I'm taking our CBR around the coast and I can't wait"


I’m getting excited. I’ve decided to go on a trip, a bike trip. I’m reading bike mags and books in the loo for inspiration and ideas, I’m making lists, preparing the bike and working out what to take. I can’t wait, it’s going be great.

My friend questioned me when I told him what I wanted to do. “You’re always on a bloody bike; why are you getting so excited?” And that’s the point. For the last 15 years I’ve been lucky enough (or not if you ask my bank manager) to be riding bikes for work everyday. But every trip has always been to somewhere, for something. I see so many readers’ trips with tales of trips and pictures of smiling faces and I’m jealous.

So, where do I go? Timewise my trip has to fit in with convoluted childcare and work regimes so nine days is my max. Still two weekends sandwiching a week is enough. Western Europe could be covered easily but I know that the lure from new cultures of Eastern Europe would be too tempting and that would involve big motorway miles – I do too much as it is.

Ireland would be great but Si Toyne is going there at the end of June. Spain via a ferry would also be great but would cost too much, so instead I’ve decided to head round the UK coast. There are no set route or rules as I don’t want to miss something interesting just because it’s not on the coast. And being a fully paid up member of the shandy-drinking-softy-southerners club it’s the North of England, Scotland and Wales that interests me the most, as I’ve spent so little time there.

So journey details aside I know where I’m going, so next it’s where to stay. To make this feel like a real trip camping is the only way for me. I’ve got a good tent that packs down to a reasonable size. It goes up and down fairly easily as I don’t plan to be staying in the same place for more than one night. My trusty Trangia stove should heat up my sausages and beans in a can for evening dinner and cups of tea and I’ll grab a snack for lunch. Si Weir our resident tour expert reckons £30-£35 per day for food but I don’t have such culinary tastes, so I should save some money.

Now the exciting bit, choosing the bike. Honda’s Transalp looks good – cheap to run and the engine is the same as my Bros and very reliable. BMW’s old F650 should go on forever and be frugal too. The ubiquitous 1150 GS has more power and would eat up my journey, but have you seen how they’ve held their prices? I’d love one but I’m not spending £3000 on a 12 year old bike unless its red and Italian.

So I’ve decided to use my CBR600F. It’s already in touring mode with the lowered pegs and raised handlebars and screen. I’ll add the bigger tank I made and possibly an auxiliary tank in the boot. I also want some hard luggage, so I’ll add a topbox, and some throw over panniers should hold my undies and still give room for the tent on top. I’m also on the hunt for a tank bag for food and sundries that turns into a rucksack so I can take it with me if I leave the bike.

And that’s it so far. I just need to polish the route up so I don’t find myself rushing towards the end; that would spoil it. I can’t wait until April. I just hope the trip is as much fun as planning it is. I’ve a feeling it will be.
Matt Hull 

No comments:

Post a Comment